header

header

Friday, July 3, 2015

Coloring as a Way of Praying...



Coloring has always been one of my favorite past-times! I have numerous coloring books or pads of white paper for doodling and when I pack for a long trip my colored pencils are often one of the first items that get added to my carry-one bag. In the last few years significant research has been conducted on the effects of coloring, especially its use in relieving stress and most recently as a way of praying. 

Carl Jung, a Psychology expert noted the benefits of coloring as a way of relaxing and created mandalas as a tool for channeling a person’s stress onto paper. Mandalas are large circular designs with intricate details that often resemble stained glass windows. Often when I find that I can’t find the words to pray or my mind is wondering I pull out a mandala and my colored pencils (crayons or markers work too) and sit in prayer letting my thoughts flow through the details in the mandala and the various colors that I chose. 

Another way using coloring to pray is through a program called Praying in Color by Sybil MacBeth. This program offers several techniques to help a person pray through their doodling. The website, www.prayingincolor.com is a great resource. I have used the simple techniques individually and with large groups and I continue to be amazed at how reflecting on a simple prayer or person while doodling can have such a positive impact on me. Not only am I more relaxed but I feel a strong connection to my faith. This is by far one of my favorite ways to pray. 

Here are a few examples of my praying through mandalas, it is my hope that this simple and creative way of praying works for you. 

 
 


 *These mandalas are from the book, Coloring Mandalas 2 for Balance Harmony and Spiritual Well-Being, by Susanne F. Fincher, 2004





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with us!