header

header

Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Discernment Resources!

I know that when I was discerning about my vocation and was wondering if I might be called to be a sister, there was one thing that I desperately wanted but did not know how to find. What was it you may ask? Conversation with and advice from other young women who were discerning or who were in the early stages of religious formation. There was little to nothing available online at the time, and (as far as I could tell) I was the only young woman I knew who was thinking about being a nun. Processing my thoughts, questions, fears, and hopes about religious life would have been so much simpler, I thought, with more information or at least someone to share the journey of discernment with!

Fortunately for those who are currently wondering about religious life and/or discerning their own potential call to be a sister or nun, things have changed a great deal over the last decade! Quite a few resources have been developed, including blogs written by young women who are discerning, in formation, or newly professed sisters. What a great opportunity to learn about their experiences, to ask your questions, and to hear what the process of joining a religious community is like!

One place to read all about it is the website of Giving Voice, an organization of younger women religious. They have a collection of blogs here from some of their members who represent a sample of the variety of religious communities. I encourage you to visit this site, choose a blog or two to check out, and curl up with a good cup of coffee and tea some evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with us!