header

header

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The Power of One Life: "Why Sister Pat was so special"

I had the privilege of attending my local Catholic high school, Bishop Feehan, with the help of a scholarship and my father's hard work. I can say without any hyperbole that my experience as a student there changed the course of my life. I found a community of welcome and support during a difficult time in the life of my family, was introduced to the study of theology and thus was put on a trajectory towards my career in ministry, and even had the blessing of kind teachers whom I could trust with my inner struggles over discerning my vocation. One of the adults in the building who had a profound impact on me, though, was actually a teacher I never had. Sister Patricia Harrington, RSM, affectionately known as Sister Pat, was a pillar in the Feehan community. Everyone knew and loved her, and her presence in the classroom, in the halls, and at school events was a source of leaven and joy. She made God's love tangible by her kind, "Hello, love!" in the halls, her thoughtful gestures, and the witness of her life.

Sister Pat passed away last week, and her funeral was one week ago today. Attending this service with hundreds of other members of the Feehan family was an experience of profound grace, partly because Sister Pat's spirit was all over the liturgy (she had chosen the readings and music), and partly because everyone gathered there shared in common the experience of her love on their lives. If you are considering a life consecrated to God in religious community but have hesitated over concern that you would not have a huge impact, would not have children, or would not be remembered - read this editorial written after her funeral. (Or this article, or this blog post turned Huffington Post article from one of my classmates!)

A portrait of Sister Patricia Harrington painted in 2011.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with us!