header

header

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Day 3, Chapter 3: The Foundations and Dynamics of Prayer



“Prayer is the food for our life with God; without it we suffer from malnourishment.” (Page 44)

I can still clearly remember the day I was confirmed in the Catholic Church. As each student approached the Bishop we were asked a question or two about our faith. I was nervous as my sponsor and I stood in front of the Bishop my heart beating hard and my mind racing, praying for an easy question. My question: “What is your favorite prayer and who taught it to you,” caught me off guard but I quickly answered The Memorare and my parent? As I walked back to my pew I kept thinking to myself how did I get such an easy question….little did I understand then the importance of a solid prayer foundation in my life. Prayers are often one of the first things we teach children. My nephew can quickly recite his dinner prayer and my sister can probably say the Guardian Angel prayer in one breath; we always prayed together as a family, from an early age it was a priority. Yet the older I get the more difficult I find it is to structure significant prayer time in my life. It’s not that I’m too busy or that I have forgotten to pray but perhaps because our foundation of prayer is only taught to a certain level. What once worked in my family home, suddenly doesn’t fit in my personal life. Feeling less than satisfied with how much time I was actually praying, I recall sitting in a graduate Theology class and reading an article much similar to this and things finally made sense. Our individual prayer lives are our unique opportunity to carve out a specific relationship with Christ. In this chapter Robin Ryan, OP, reminds us that that works for me may not work for others but it is mine. I needed to create a sacred space that enabled me to dive into deep conversation with Christ, to be honest, to listen to my heart and make prayer a priority in my daily life; this is always evolving and will continue to as I grow and change as an adult.    

Do you have a strong prayer foundation?

What is your favorite prayer or method of prayer?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts with us!